Agriturismo – Antico Borgo Poggiarello

This awesome agriturismo awaits you
Antico Borgo Poggiarello

 

Agriturismo (a-gree-two-reez-mo).  What’s an agriturismo you ask?   Google translate refers to it as a farmhouse or a farm holiday.  We just call them Fantastic!  In a nutshell, an agriturismo is a family run farm which opens their doors to guests. Doing this helps the family subsidize their income allowing them to keep their farming way of life alive and well.  To qualify as an agriturismo the farm must produce 51% of its income from farming.  The remaining 49% of income can be generated by hosting guests.

 

Not only are agriturismos good business for small farms in Italy, they are equally good for us as travellers.

 

There are rewards for leaving the big cities of Italy to relax in one of these hillside country farms. “Tell me more Peter!”
Read more

Christmas Wishes & a Happy New Year Amici

Have a great Christmas Amici
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

 

We would like to wish all of our friends a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in 2018.

 

We hope that this Christmas and holiday season will be the beginning of a great new year.  It is our wish for you, that a trip to Italy will be in your future… sooner than later!

In the coming year, we will be bringing you more stories from places we have loved like Verona, Ravenna, Camogli and many more wonderful locations we’ve visited.  In addition to our favorite places, we look forward to sharing some of our top accommodations with you.

 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from us at OurItalianRomance.com

 

Our Top 10 List of Italian Churches

Magnificent Mosaic
Looking to the Heavens

 

Here we go, our first top 10 list of churches.  Well… it’s our first top 10 of anything for that matter!

We chose churches,  aka – Chiesa, Cattedrale, Duomo, Basilica for our first top ten list because they are the central attraction of any city, town or village throughout Italy.  You’ll be hard pressed to pass by these magnificent symbols of faith without taking at least one sneak peak inside.  The need to see what lies behind their impressive doors is hard to ignore.

A beautiful thing about these churches is that they are welcoming to all travellers regardless of your own personal faith.  All that is required is for visitors to be respectful while they are inside and to speak softly since there are many who have come to worship.

 

Read more

Florence – Our Tale of Two Cities

The View from the Giotto's (Bell) Tower
The Duomo in Firenze

 

Unlike Charles Dickens’ 1859 novel “A Tale of Two Cities”, our tale of two cities is technically the same place, Florence.  Hang in there folks, it’ll make sense soon…

 

Florence for us is really two cities.  Florence of 2011 and Florence of 2015.  I’ll stop talking in riddles now and fill you in on the details.

 

Read more